Local Rails to Trails project

More
10 years 10 months ago #24459 by Joker
Replied by Joker on topic Local Rails to Trails project

opresident wrote: This will only benefit some people who will use it who aren't even from our community, even though it is there, doesn't mean people are going to get out and use it, especiallly if they don't feel safe, mostly women, women with children, so who is it really benefitting, men??? Then even if women go together, there have been cases of three women being jumped on a trail with an armed guy...I have in my possession over 1,000 articles of crime incidents on trails throughout the US, I know you don't all realize it, but it is there. In almost all cases, it is women being attacked, but there are a few cases of a man on a bike being jumped by groups of boys....a few cases like that....but I would say 95% women attacked.


Have you ever even walked on the bike path in Amherst? Your comment here is completely wrong! Amazing! Go there today, on a nice sunny day in Buffalo.... there are women, children with parents, runners, cyclists, old people, young people, women by themselves, women in groups, I could go on and on. All of them using and enjoying the path. Its a whole lot better than walking down Sheridan or Hopkins, etc. And its a whole lot SAFER too.

I honestly don't think you know what you are talking about because I don't think you have ever been on one of these trails outside of the one in Hilton Head you mention. I think you live in your little sheltered world, away from everyone, and never venture out into public. I think the only valid reason you have is that you want to retain your privacy which is understandable, but you keep throwing crime statistics out there that just don't add up. You say you have 1000 cases of crimes, again, over what time frame and where.....thats not many crimes considering the amount of crimes that happen day to day in America. And to generalize and say that all women would be scared to go on the bike path is just plain wrong....and that it weould people from outside your community? Have you done a survey of Orchard Park to ascertain this? You make too many generalizations....

Theres a bike path along Onondage Lake in Syracuse.....runs between the lake and houses, right behind the houses in fact. Thousands of people use this path daily. Women , children, men, evryone. On a spring day, the path is used heavily. Do not tell me the path wouldn't be used by everyone and just by men.....its completely wrong.....you are afraid to use these paths and therefore you project that out onto the general public. Its not the case though. Go to the path in Amherst and look around....do it today, report back to me what you see....I'll be there sometime today too.......we can compare notes..... :lol:

To say what you said here shows a complete lack of understanding of who uses these trails.

Why...so...serious?

Carolina Blue Skies, Baby!
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 10 months ago #24458 by Jon Sundquist
Quoting out of order, but not out of context...

opresident wrote: Like I said, it is complicated, there are a lot of issues surrounding it and hard to explain in this forum...but thank you for your thoughts, I understand them as well.


And we understand your concerns. There's no right or wrong answer. This is something that most of the community needs and wants. This is counterbalanced by a smaller group of people who oppose it, almost all being people who live adjacent to the line or belong to the conservation club. It's hard to balance these conflicting opinions, but they are both valid.

opresident wrote: This type of recreation is warranted but there are so many destinations you can go and ride that are safe places to go, like I go to the YMCA for my recreation and pay for that, or I play tennis and pay for that, why should the taxpayers pay for this project when it is not wanted by the community it is in?


I think this statement explains that there is greater misunderstanding on your part than on our part. Somehow equating going to the and going outdoors blows my mind. Going to a Y or into a tennis dome is a last-option resort to keep in shape sort of thing. Getting out to the outdoors and along trails is something that absolutely essential to the health of the soul. The fitness aspect is just a side benefit.

opresident wrote: This will only benefit some people who will use it who aren't even from our community,


When the trail goes in, I am sure you will find 99% of the users are from Erie County. It will definitely serve mainly those in our community.

opresident wrote: Even though it is there, doesn't mean people are going to get out and use it, especiallly if they don't feel safe, mostly women, women with children, so who is it really benefitting, men??? Then even if women go together, there have been cases of three women being jumped on a trail with an armed guy...


Again, I would point out that at the meeting, there were more women than men supporting the trail. And the main reason they were supporting it was safety. This whole danger issue is a red herring.

opresident wrote: This rail line runs adjacent to property lines on both sides so there is no where else to go, you can't run it somewhere else unless you get approval from the property owner


Moving of off the line would defeat the whole purpose. The reason this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is that a linear piece of private property is becoming available that is perfectly suitable for addressing the dearth of trails in this area.

opresident wrote: but even in those cases it will not work because on one side is the OPCC Country club and the other is the property owner just 50' away from the rail line open into their backyards with pools and no buffer at all...these people enjoy their privacy they have now backing up to a country club or a wooded area of privately owned land, there is no way anything else can be built in these areas, there is no land to build it on, only private land and a ROW going through it....


I took a look at these areas on google maps:

map 1

map 2

This clearly shows that the rail line is not "going through someone's backyard" I know there are a handful of other properties in West Falls where it does come closer, and issues there would have to be worked out during the design phase.
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 10 months ago #24457 by opresident
I appreciate your thoughts and understand why you want it as well. It should also be noted that the Amherst community also shut down the Amherst Rail Trail proposed because it also did not run through the right area and know the problems that have been associated with the existing trails. This type of recreation is warranted but there are so many destinations you can go and ride that are safe places to go, like I go to the YMCA for my recreation and pay for that, or I play tennis and pay for that, why should the taxpayers pay for this project when it is not wanted by the community it is in? This will only benefit some people who will use it who aren't even from our community, even though it is there, doesn't mean people are going to get out and use it, especiallly if they don't feel safe, mostly women, women with children, so who is it really benefitting, men??? Then even if women go together, there have been cases of three women being jumped on a trail with an armed guy...I have in my possession over 1,000 articles of crime incidents on trails throughout the US, I know you don't all realize it, but it is there. In almost all cases, it is women being attacked, but there are a few cases of a man on a bike being jumped by groups of boys....a few cases like that....but I would say 95% women attacked.

This rail line runs adjacent to property lines on both sides so there is no where else to go, you can't run it somewhere else unless you get approval from the property owner but even in those cases it will not work because on one side is the OPCC Country club and the other is the property owner just 50' away from the rail line open into their backyards with pools and no buffer at all...these people enjoy their privacy they have now backing up to a country club or a wooded area of privately owned land, there is no way anything else can be built in these areas, there is no land to build it on, only private land and a ROW going through it....I am not sure you all realize that there are no other things that can be done here and that is why we bought our land knowing that nothing can be built behind it or developed and paid a premium for it. IF that was your understanding of the land, you would be upset too. That is the case for this entire line, there is no areas to build a walmart or do anything like that or even a new development.... I guess you would have to walk the line to understand what I am talking about but it is not the same as any of these other trails and that is what I am trying to explain, that this is just not the right area.

Like I said, it is complicated, there are a lot of issues surrounding it and hard to explain in this forum...but thank you for your thoughts, I understand them as well.
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 10 months ago #24456 by Fuelish

opresident wrote: Basically you want to entitle all the residents of erie and cattaragus county to be able to ride and walk through my backyard.....and 100's of others right through their property....DO you think those people think that is a great opportunity? They don't..


The #1 reason that I support this project is that I want to decrease my chances of getting hit by a car or truck on Schreff Rd. Ellicott, Jewett Holmwood or 240, something my family can appreciate too.

Respect your local Woodland Spirits

¿dɯnɾ ʇsɐl ʇɐɥʇ ʇıɥ əɯ əəs noʎ pıp

WNYMBRO is NOT dead, it just smells funny.
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 10 months ago #24454 by NO SNOW
Having a bike path so close to a house would be a plus if I were house shopping. Not everybody is narrow minded.

Eric Senn
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 10 months ago #24452 by george

opresident wrote: George, I am sure you want to look around, but this trail looks right into peoples homes, we will not be forced to keep the shades down.....


I don't understand how you can have train tracks so close to your house? If it had train use it would sound like the train is coming through your living room. It's not really in your backyard. It's behind your property line. If you wanted more privacy, you should have bought a bigger lot. I don't want to be a jerk, but you always take the chance with your property value, having bad neighbors move in, people that don't take care of their house... things change and it's always a gamble.

On another note:
I do understand how you feel, I don't agree with you, but I do understand. I have fields in the back of my house. The town had plans to build one of them u-store-it warehouse things. The neighbors spoke to the town board and had the plans dropped. But the town did say..."you know they will build something on that land some day", They ended building a medical office building. Hey it's better than trucks loading and unloading all day and night. So... just be careful what you wish for.... a bike path might not be the worst thing.
The topic has been locked.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.