Ellicottville Conditions

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #44980 by Jon Sundquist
Jon Sundquist replied the topic: Ellicottville Conditions
Please keep posts here limited to current condition reports. Thanks! Posts about riding in general can be made here: www.wnymba.org/index.php?option=com_kune...&catid=28&Itemid=146

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #44979 by kb voodoo
kb voodoo replied the topic: Ellicottville Conditions

Jon Sundquist wrote: Thanks for all this feedback. I will definitely use this as background when talking to Holiday Valley about improvements to this trail.

I'd like to think other people would chime in on this, but I don't think anyone rides anymore.

I've got 14 rides so far this year, and I've seen like 3 other people on the trails, total. That excludes Jake's Rocks though, you always see a ton of riders there.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
4 months 10 hours ago #44978 by Jon Sundquist
Thanks for all this feedback. I will definitely use this as background when talking to Holiday Valley about improvements to this trail.

More
4 months 17 hours ago #44976 by kb voodoo
There were definitely more sloppy spots than just Champagne and Yodeler. I remember multiple times riding all over creation up there in dry conditions, then being totally covered in mud after the flow trail.
I literally stopped riding it because it was the same thing every time.

The 1970's: No knee pads, helmets, brakes, or over cautious soccer mom's. It's just how we rolled...

More
4 months 17 hours ago #44975 by Jon Sundquist
Wow it's amazing to have such completely different experiences. I rode it fewer the 50 times, but of the dozens of times I rode it, it looked just like that video. The only slopfest was the section along Champagne, which did get worse as the year wore on, and for that we have been asking a number of times for more gravel from Holiday Valley. They said they will get it this spring, as well as construct a new trail over on the morningstar side. Here is the latest:

RE: Holiday Valley MB Trails
To: Jon Sundquist <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: RE: Holiday Valley MB Trails
Date: Monday, April 03, 2017 3:23 PM

Jon,
We are doing a timber harvest hopefully sooner than later and yes the plan is to rough in the new connection across Morning star and moon shadow to MB 2. I’m meeting with the timber buyer this week. We will get stone to Champagne this spring as soon as feasible. Mike and I will both be on Vacation next week and will set up some work plans later in the month.

More
4 months 17 hours ago #44974 by kb voodoo

Painfulldischarge wrote: Jon, I'm not knocking the trail work or being critical. My post was more of a heads up of what to expect on that trail, if you're coming out of McCarthy. I was psyched to ride it and disappointed at how sloppy it was in parts, given how dry McCarthy was. I didn't want to have to give my bike a full cleaning. I figured maybe it was the day, so tried it again a month or two later and it was the same. It is a very cool trail, really pretty coming through the pines from the lake. Just has some sloppy spots that hopefully can get fixed.

I'll back this statement up 100%. I did roughly 50 rides in Ellicottville last summer, many of which started and ended at the Training Center. After a while I just gave up on the "flow trail" and just took MB-1 back down.

It was a complete mess most of the summer.

You are not logged in.

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.