• YouTube: wnymbavideo
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Electric MTB Trail Access Issues
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues

Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 2 weeks ago #44532

I am currently living in Monroe County, and from what I have heard from other riders, mountain bikers have not been given the best treatment by other trail users and have not been allowed in most parks here until recently, we have been granted access to 2 parks.

With the popularity of e-bikes growing, and the technology being adapted to off road bicycle applications, I am just curious as to how local advocacy groups are handling this situation. How would WNYMBA members and especially those heavily involved in advocacy respond if these bikes become as popular (and affordable) as predicted?

Will e-bikes ruin our ability to legally use trails after an injury occurs to new and inexperienced rider?

I have demo'ed a Haibike 650b trail bike and even after about 5 years of riding experience riding technical xc trails as well as dabbling in DH riding a bit, I was a little scared of what kind of trouble this type of bike could cause based on the power it had.

www.singletracks.com/blog/uncategorized/opinion-electric-mountain-bikes-dont-belong-on-mtb-trails/
  • ATF
Last Edit: 9 months, 2 weeks ago by ATF.

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 2 weeks ago #44534

Bicycles should be pedaled! E-bikes are fine for commuters looking to save money on gas, but in my opinion have NO PLACE on the trails.

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 2 weeks ago #44535

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 2 weeks ago #44536

Motoloco brought an ebike to Asheville with us last spring. I want to say he's over it already but I'm not 100% sure. In my opinion, it detracted from the experience. Instead of enjoying the ride, he was managing power output levels and making sure to do regenerative braking on the downhills (i.e. go slower). I also believe that having that much weight strapped to the bike reduces its technical ability like hopping over logs at speed (e.g. the equalizer log on Big Merlin that has since been removed). At the end of the day I think I still had more energy left than him.
Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 2 weeks ago #44537

An e bike is a moto x bike for a b$tch. They do not belong on MTB trails IMO.

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 1 week ago #44541

Dude, it's pretty much a wussified motox rig, isn't it??? Bikes are to pedal, not throttle. You will get no help from us.
  • TGS
Ride fast and look good

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 1 week ago #44542

It's not really an issue as to whether they "belong". You can get into that argument with all sorts of uses and people.

The issue is that many of the places that we ride don't allow motorized uses on the trails. For example, take a look at the DEC regs: www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html#12996 (yes, they do allow snowmobiles on designated trails in winter).

e-bikes are motorized vehicles, so out of luck. An argument could be made that they are close enough to bikes to warrant MTB groups to lobby for a change in regulation, but frankly, would most MTB groups feel strongly enough about that to spend time on such a lobbying effort? Judging from comments here, probably not. We worked hard enough to get the "trails are open unless closed" for bikes in the above referenced regs when they were revised a few years ago, and they probably aren't going to be revised any time soon.

OK, that's the dispassionate analysis. My opinion? I like to see the trails non-motorized as they are now.

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 1 week ago #44547

Not sure if you accidentally a word but my recollection is that as long as they are limited to 20mph they are not actually motorized according to federal law. Sort of the same way that they decided that pizza counts as a vegetable...
Opinions are like pimples, they vary in amount and cover different areas.

There is no or, you're going to lose it.

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 1 week ago #44548

Learn to pedal or stay home!

Penguin
Mommy- theres a root on the trail! Make it go away! I want my Binkie

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months, 1 week ago #44549

You guys say that now but many of us might feel differently in 10 or 15 years.

Technology will keep getting better for E-Bikes of all kinds and lots of us will be in our 60`s and 70`s by then.
Last Edit: 9 months, 1 week ago by skidder.

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 9 months ago #44553

skidder wrote:
You guys say that now but many of us might feel differently in 10 or 15 years.

Technology will keep getting better for E-Bikes of all kinds and lots of us will be in our 60`s and 70`s by then.

They're called scooters for the elderlee! I bet that if we let the ebike cats in, sooner or later the walmart scooter peeps will be close behind.
  • TGS
Ride fast and look good

Re: Electric MTB Trail Access Issues 8 months, 3 weeks ago #44566

You`re ignoring new, emerging technology.

I don`t want one now but this stuff will get better and better.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds

Loading feeds...

Our insurance company has "strongly suggested" that we tell you that Mountain Biking can be dangerous. If you're visiting this site it's very likely that you're already aware that if you insist on having a good time by riding your mountain bike, eventually you will almost certainly fall down and collect any number of boo-boos, dings and injuries, serious or otherwise, but we have to tell you anyway.

Mountain Biking is a potentially hazardous activity carrying a significant risk of bodily injury and even death. Mountain biking should only be undertaken if you have a complete awareness of these risks. You can reduce the level of risk by wearing a helmet and by riding within your own skill level.